Steps to Becoming a CASA Volunteer:
1. Attend a one-hour Information Session - See dates below
2. Submit an Application
3. Have an informal interview—we'll call you to get it scheduled
4. Complete 34 hours of pre-service training—lots more information about this during the Information Session!
5. Smile when you're sworn in by a judge as a CASA volunteer!
From helping siblings find permanent placement together, to finding a child a stable home with a relative, to uncovering information that helps reunite a loving family, volunteer advocates make incredible differences in the lives of abused and neglected children.
- You’ll talk with the child and with their family members, teachers and others to find out where the child will be happiest and safest: with the parent(s), a relative or a loving foster family.
- You’ll speak for the child in court, making your fact-based recommendation for placement to the judge.
- During the life of the case, you’ll act as the one constant in the child’s life as they experience changes in foster placements, schools and caseworkers.
CASA of Tarrant County will provide all the training you need in a 34-hour course. You’ll learn about courtroom procedures as well as the consequences of abuse and neglect. After the course, you’ll be sworn in by a judge as an official volunteer advocate.
Throughout most of the case, you’ll be asked to give about 12-15 hours of your time per month. The beginning of a case is the intensive, fact-finding stage, and may require more time. The majority of cases require presenting recommendations to the judge three to six times over the course of a year. As a volunteer advocate, you will be assigned to a Child Advocacy Specialist with CASA of Tarrant County who will guide you, support your efforts and attend all court hearings with you.
INTERESTED IN OTHER WAYS TO HELP US GROW?
UPCOMING INFORMATION SESSIONS
Want to find out if CASA is right for you? Ready to take the first step?
Have questions about an advocate's role in a child's life? Join us for an Information Session!